Saturday, January 14, 2012

Thinking about the Reverend.

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.

So says Martin Luther King. He should know, right? I mean - when I want to start feeling sorry for myself that I don't have what I think I should have or people haven't treated me the way I want to be treated or I'm disappointed, or sad, or worried or, or, or..... I like to dig into the reflections of people who have battled unimaginable circumstances and had the conviction and faith to keep doing the next right thing.

In this case, doing that next right thing cost his life. I feel it's my social and moral duty to try, however I am able, to stand for what is righteous, compassionate and constructive rather than destructive. I have never had to worry about my life, my safety, my standing such as it is. I have learned that the lessons of Dr. King apply to the greatest context all the way down to the one-on-one of intimate relationships. I love my wonderfully creative, passionate, curious and utterly dysfunctional qualifiers as much as I love the life I live with them in it. I wouldn't trade this mess for anything in the world.

I can say with complete conviction that I would NOT have grown into the reflective, accepting and (hopefully) empathetic person I am today were it not for the challenges, obstacles, fears and triumphs this life has provided.

I work with children, and always tell my new employees, patience is enduring something unpleasant, but if you take time to really understand something, you can support and encourage instead of just enduring. So much better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment