Sunday, September 11, 2011

No meeting...yoga meditation instead.

This is great. I actually woke up thinking about getting to write again today. A meeting I really like was canceled without notice yesterday. Now, six months ago I would have been sort of relieved and gone shopping or something. But this time as I walked back to my car I was conscious of my disappointment and just a little uncomfortable that I wouldn't be getting the inspiration and fellowship I'm learning to love.
So I came home to read some from the literature and then listened to Eckhart Tolle on the Ipod. I love his message of the present moment being all there is .... and the tone of his voice and his accent ... I am always so much more peaceful and present after walking through the park with him. He's also pretty amusing in his awkward, understated little way.

My oldest daughter and I saw The Help last night. I am always brought up short by the cold, stark, cruelty of ignorance. I had read the book and was a tad disappointed with all that was cut from the story, but it was still well acted, beautifully shot and the message was clear. My daughter is a makeup artist and hair stylist and lives in that wonderfully impossibly unrealistic world of fashion and aesthetic most of the time. She spent the first few minutes going nuts over the costuming, hair, period settings, etc. Then the first harsh and disrespectful exchange between a white woman and her black maid happened on screen and it stopped my daughter in mid-gush. She looked at me in the dark theater and said "In ninteen-sixty-TWOOO???!" I know. I know. That's in my lifetime for god sake.
It was one of those moments when I had to think long and hard about what assumptions we make about other people's demons, history and journey. It's not so simple, from either side, and we all need to be mindful daily that we're putting out what we wish to receive. I love the message in the Beatle's song, In The End. ..."the love you take is equal to the love you make"... just that simple.

I am headed to a two hour chakra meditation, restorative yoga and pressure point massage class. Yeaaahhhh....this is a great place to live. I even like the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment